Thekkady is one of the most beautiful cities in Kerala, which is proudly located within the Idukki district of Kerala. As all know, Kerala is renowned for its spectacular beauty in terms of nature and has managed to earn recognition as the God’s Own Country. Adding sparkle to this place are scenic waterfalls, majestic mountains, dense forests and lush green lawns. Considered as the Paradise in South Indian continent, Thekkady has 6 exotic places that should not be missed at all. Indeed, the nature seems to be waiting to hug its lovers and welcome with beautiful places.
1. Idukki Arc Dam is famous as a hydroelectric project, which is built on the Periyar Lake offering majestic views all around. This is a dam complex, which calls for exhibiting underground power generator, 5 rivers, 20 small or big dams and few underground tunnels. Located proudly at a height of 550 feet long and 650 feet wide, the dam is near the Cheruthoni Barrage.
2. The Periyar National Park is among the best and the most visited place to things to do in Thekkady town. Known as the home to wildlife animals, the travelers can take pleasure in boating at the Periyar Lake. While doing boating, the travelers can see a couple of wild animals strolling around the lake. Moreover, some parts of the National Park allow travelers to enjoy a walk; but, it should be accessed with the permission of Forest department and guards accompany always.
3. Another place to check out in Thekkady is King’s palace. Positioned on an island within Periyar Lake, it was once the residence of Trivandrum’s King. Now, this exotic palace has been transformed into the State Government’s hotel that offers breathtaking views of the nature.
4. Mangla Devi Temple is one of the most visited temples in Thekkady town and located at a height of 1337 meters above the sea level. Adding beauty to this temple is the dense forest that overlooks lush green lawns. And what makes this palace interesting is the architectural style representing creativeness of Kerala’s craftsmen.
5. Ramakalmedu: This attractive hill station is situated on the border of Kerala and Tamilnadu. The tourists visiting here can look for places like Munnar, Kuttikanam, Tiger Forest and Parrunathupara. According to a legendary story, Lord Rama had put his pious steps on the tallest mountain of this place at the time of Sita’s search. All this gave this place its name meaning “Ram” as Lord Rama, “Kal” as Mountains and “Medu” as land. Adding beauty to this place is the view of sunset and lush green valley.
Thekkady is an exotic hill station of Kerala that offers comfortable staying options, from extravagant hotels to relaxing resorts and budget-friendly hotels. So, a vacation planned at this place can be really exciting and fun-loving.