Souvenir means a thing or an object that is kept as a reminder of a place one visited. People usually prefer to purchase Souvenirs while voyaging through any tourist place as a symbol of memory that help them to recollect their memories and make it more alive. Along with its unique mesmerizing beauty, Kerala possess rich and diversified culture and tradition; which in turn reflects also in its exquisite souvenirs. Some amazing and popular souvenirs list of the must buy and must things to do in Kerala.
1. Coir Products & Coconut Shell handicrafts: Kerala is surrounded by abundance of Coconut trees and Keralites use almost every part of a coconut tree by producing various bio-degradable products. Coir is basically extracted from the outer shell of coconut and is used for making beautiful mats; tourists prefer to buy this item frequently.
Coconut shells are nowhere lagging behind in this race. Although these are very hard, craftsman puts huge effort to make various eye-catching showpieces, bowls and cups from the shell of coconut,
2. Nettipattom: Nettipattom is an exclusive and traditional show-piece looks alike Elephant’s forehead; prepared by using 24 gms of gold and 3.5 gms of Copper. It costs around INR 50,000 and is considered to bring happiness and prosperity. Tourists usually prefer to buy this precious item from an authentic and experienced craftsman.
3. Nilavilakku: Nilavilakku is Traditional lamp, which is kept on the floor and lit during worship. These exotic lamps are made in bronze or bell metal and available in all sizes. Mostly Hindu tourists collect this beautiful item and keep it in their home at the place of Puja.
4. Elephant Figurines: One can get exquisitely crafted and decorated replica of Elephant in the handicraft stores; available in various sizes and materials and prices.
5.Kasavu Saree (Kerala Saree): Kasavu Sarees symbolizes the tradition and culture of Kerala. These sarees are made up of light cotton fabric in white or off white colour with golden or copper coloured zari at the border. Tourists love to bring this as souvenir to cherish the memory of Kerals’s vibrant culture.
6. Spices of Kerala & Handmade chocolates: Kerala is a hub of exotic spices and herbs since more than a decade. A combination of all these exclusive spices -Cloves, Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Cardamom and Ginger; can be a perfect souvenir. Kerala’s handmade chocolates are also very popular. Visitors used to buy it in large quantities for their family and friends.
7. Kathakali Masks: Kathakali is the most traditional and renowned dance form of Kerala, tourists are getting attracted by this dance form. Hence these Kathakali masks are very popular souvenir. These masks are prepared by metals and woods and an extraordinary effort is given to create the unique facial expression while crafting these masks. These are easily available in almost all handicraft showroom.
8. Snakeboat Models (Chundan Vallam): Snake boats are famous in Kerala for its unique appearance. Villagers use this boat during famous Boat racing competition. While visiting kerala travellers would definitely wish to carry a replica of this boat as Souvenir, which is made up of wood.
Souvenirs can only be valued by the amount of joy and happiness one had. Kerala has lot to offer as souvenir, which are preferred for their uniqueness and exquisiteness. Kerala’s Artisans are expertise in coconut art and mask making, metalworking, weaving, painting and woodwork.